The History of Berwyn United Methodist ChurchBerwyn United Methodist Church enjoys a rich history of commitment and devotion to our Lord and our community that dates back to 1881. At that time Reverend Andrew Cather organized a Sunday School in Devon that was held in a small frame chapel, called the Eagle Methodist Episcopal Church. A storm demolished this building in 1883 and services were moved to Berwyn Hall in 1884 where the church was established as part of the Salem charge; therefore, 1884 is the official founding date of our church.
During that year the Methodists bought a lot extending from Church Avenue (now Main Avenue) to Waterloo Road in Berwyn. Ground was broken for the new building in 1887. It was completed and officially dedicated as the Berwyn M. E. Church in 1888. Many additions and improvements were made to this church between its dedication in 1888 and its eventual sale to the neighboring Trinity Presbyterian Church in 1961. Currently this structure is the home of the Footlighters Theater.
The congregation purchased the present church property on Waterloo Avenue from the Misses Coates in 1956. An education building, fellowship hall and a parsonage were constructed and dedicated in 1958. In 1961 eight new classrooms and a kitchen were added.
Ground was broken for the new sanctuary in 1966, and it was consecrated in 1967 as Berwyn Methodist Church. Our church's name was changed to Berwyn United Methodist Church in 1968. In 1984 a new parsonage was built on the church property.
The Facilities Improvement Project of 2000-2004 grew out of the congregation's recognition of the need for an improved and enlarged physical structure for our church. With the backing of a $1.5M capital campaign, ground was broken on March 17, 2002 for a family life center or multipurpose auditorium / dining hall / sports court with state-of-the-art institutional kitchen, an improved and enlarged entrance / parlor area with a new library, and renovated offices and meeting rooms including a fine arts/choir room. The cornerstone was laid on May 4, 2003 , and the project was completed in late 2003. The name, Schieck Hall, former name of Fellowship Hall, was carried over to the new family life center.
As we enjoy the fruits of our current building project, we give thanks for God's providence in the life of our church and the community beyond. We bless the faithful leadership and support of our congregation and pastors throughout the history of Berwyn United Methodist Church.
Further History InformationKey dates in the history of Berwyn United Methodist Church History.